Yes, it’s time for better Design Reviews
I am still amazed when I hear, “Wow, that’s a problem; no one anticipated that.” Really?!?
How can that be (I say to myself) when all you have to do is have a Design Review with those Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) that can contribute design solutions … before they happen?
Just the other day, we encountered a non-properly-functioning part. No one anticipated the results, or so the story went. I (being the new guy to the group) just noticed the problem, and said:
“Of course there’s a problem … look … what we could do it this …”
Have you ever run across this?
One of the hardest part of a Designer’s job is admit that their design could be better. I still remember the day when another Designer said:
“Hey, look at my part, isn’t it sexy?”
Of course it is … but, does it work? Functionality must precede looks. Trust me on this. 😉
As I’ve gotten older, and more experienced, I’ve come to really understand that:
“I know that two heads are better than one. I know that five heads are better than two” ~ Helen Hunt
Here’s some tips that should help:
- Know your customer
- Know your scope of what you’re trying to accomplish
- Expect the unexpected
- Always design for worse case conditions
- Solicit ideas for improving the product’s performance
- Defend your product and it’s capability
- Have Design Reviewers choose the best solution from multiple possible solutions
- Listen to all ideas; none are stupid
– Thx ATF