Whew, that was close one! It took until the 11th hour to get our program to meet today’s Contract Shipping deadline. This caused me to think about a motivational blog that programs can use to get the most out of everyone when, unfortunately, it becomes “crunch time.” Granted, I’d rather not get in this position, but sometimes things are out of your control, but as a team, we can, and do accomplish great things!
What is motivation? It’s the belief that drives an individual to do whatever it takes to get the job done to the benefit of the team, and / or product.
Why do we motivate? To get individuals to achieve team results, work more efficiently, and build morale.
Types of motivation: Tangible (company car, gift certificates, golf outing, additional training, etc) and Intangible (individual, personal satisfaction, cultural, etc)
How do we motivate?
- Identify each individual’s needs, whether it be tangible, or intangible, to get the most out of them.
- Empower the individual to participate in project planning to instill a sense of ownership.
- Communicate the goals of the effort – what are we, as a team, trying to accomplish?
- Formulate a plan of action to accomplish the task at hand.
- Assign responsibility – always put a name next to a task.
- Give tangible perks, such as gift certificates, employee of the month award, team t-shirts, etc.
- Remember to say Thank you, Great job, or Well done.
People are capable of truly remarkable achievements if they are provided with the right environment, and given the right motivational leadership. When you motivate, you increase morale, and in return, you increase productivity.
Remember this simple formula, that Achievement = Morale = Productivity = Profit.