My Resume needs a “Do Over”!
How does a well-educated man, working at a highly respected Engineering firm, suddenly find himself out of work, and thinks, Why is my resume not working for me? It must need something …. anything …. it must need a “do over”, right?
That very conversation occurred just yesterday with former colleague of mine. He was networking with a firm that wanted to “revamp” his resume. They wanted $3K to work on his resume, improve his interviewing skills, and do a bunch of networking for him to find a job. I offered him of a few tips, resources, and individuals that will help him for free, or at least get him headed in the right direction.
I gave him my top 6 steps for his Summary/Professional Profile:
- Search for your ideal job
- Assess what you can bring to the table that also matches their requirements
- Quantify your value in matching those requirements
- Match identically your title with their positional title
- Tailor your Summary to coincide as closely as possible with the posting’s requirements
- Proofread the message
All it takes is a little determination, creativity, and follow through to create a winning resume.
I wonder if he ever incorporated my suggestions? 🙂